Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lord, please help me to be like Jesus.

1 Peter 4: 8-9"And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.” Be hospitable to one another without grumbling."

When I continually look at these verses it literally feels like something is being ripped out of me. It does hurt and it's going to continue to hurt, but I know God has a plan for me that does not involve this evil in me. It is NOT okay that I do not love each and every person as Christ did. Yes, there are going to be some people who are not covered by salvation that will choose not to like me, but by the grace and mercy that my Heavenly Father pours out, I desire to love every person, fervently and without grumbling.

I was curious so I needed to know exactly what fervent meant, if I want to be it I need to know what it means, right? Here is the dictionary definition:

Definition of fervent:
–adjective
1. having or showing great warmth or intensity of spirit, feeling, enthusiasm, etc.; ardent: a fervent admirer; a fervent plea.
2. hot; burning; glowing.

I do not think that this word could be any more perfect, and could you expect anything less from the Perfect God? I mean really, 'having or showing great warmth or intensity of spirit, feeling, enthusiasm' that is perfection of how we are to love one another.

What I was particularly convicted about was not loving everyone with this kind of love. There are so many times when I hope that I don't run into someone because I don't have the energy to listen, or sometimes I will actually pick my stuff up and move so that I don't sit near someone during worship because I can't stand their singing. Nowhere does the bible pardon these actions. In my flesh I make up pardons 'because this one person just drains the life out of everyone', or 'because this other person makes a greatly joyful noise, but not the most beautiful noise.' THAT is sin. I feel it in my bones, this is something I need to pray that the Lord will stop me from continuing. How can I help others get close to God, or get close to Him myself if I am being so exclusive and evil myself?

I am weeping at the thought that I know that my actions and words have hindered others, my sin has stumbled others from growing closer to Jesus. I ask for forgiveness.

The best part: Grace and mercy
. God is so gracious and so merciful, He will chasten me, mold me and make me to bridle this sin, as He has done with every other unruly attribute about my life. He is in control. 'Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ' (Philippians 1:6)

Lord, please help me to be like Jesus.

3 comments:

CoNfUzLeDaNdLoSt said...

Great entry, I think these are good examples of things that everyone needs to be conscious of. The fact that you can recognize it as sin and work towards improving yourself shows a great deal about your faith. Keep posting, I'll keep reading :)

-Rob

Gregggg said...

Hi Sweetheart!

I really liked our little talk this morning. You are definitely on the right track. Hang in there! Jesus loves you, AND SO DO I!!!

Love, Dad

Bethany said...

Rob, Thanks for that. I know that God can do anything, I mean He became a man and died for me so that I can life, so I figure this thing He will do in me.

Daddy, I enjoyed our talk too! I love you and SO DOES JESUS!! :)