Saturday, January 2, 2010

Making Lasagna

No Pictures but I made around 10 Lasagna, a batch of ravioli, and enough fettuccine pasta to feed 8 really hungry people. I was a busy lady yesterday! I'm probably going to be a tad tired at work tomorrow, but of course I'll get the job done!

I do not know what how this happens, but everyone says that I make the best pasta, well everyone that has not had my aunt T's pasta, now that is bomb. But this is her recipe so I'll pass it along to you; I always measure how much pasta I am going to make by how many people I am feeding and it goes one egg per person and from there it is a ratio:

ONE cup of flour to TWO eggs. (serves two people, 1/2 cup for one egg)
1/3 of the total flour is SEMOLINA and the remaining 2/3 is all purpose white flour.
add SALT and EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL (or any type, this is just what I buy)

mix and mush all ingredients together in a bowl until the dough starts to form a ball. Roll the dough from the bowl to a dry, floured counter top and kneed well. If the dough feels dry sprinkle water on it and continue to kneed, if the dough feels wet, add flour and continue to kneed. The dough should hold it shape yet be a little squishy and pliable. Once finished cut into cubes and then run through a pasta machine (I have a hand crank one that my aunt gave me). Follow the directions for your machine for use.

There ya go! From there, you can make lasagna or make fettuccine, spaghetti, or any other type of pasta by feeding the long strips of pasta through the cutter attachment.

1 comment:

Gregggg said...

That sounds waaaay too complicated. So can you please keep making it for me, OK? I'll keep making pesto, though...;^)

Love, Dad