Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent.

I'm not one to participate in such traditions, but I was thinking about the meaning behind this. I thought about the sacrifice that Christ made for us, and how He did it without grumbling and with the hope for our eternity. I thought about the joy I find when I allow myself to be disciplined by the Holy Spirit. I thought about how greedy I am, and how much I have and how little so many other people have. I thought about the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man where Lazarus has a crappy life, but loves Jesus and goes to heaven and the rich man has a wonderful life, doesn't care to know Jesus and goes to hell. I thought about the camel and the eye of the needle and how I want to be so in love with Jesus that I am like the tax collector, Zacchaeus, who was able to be welcomed into the kingdom. I thought about how much joy it brings me to purchase superfluous things when I already have so much.

After prayer and much thought and listening to way too many bible studies I felt the leading to deal with the sin of greed in my life by observing lent. For the next 40 days I will not purchase any extra clothing, no more dinners out, no more coffee out (EEK!! I am going to have to borrow a thermos to bring to work & not get Peets across the street) and no more "just because I deserve this" purchases. I am not going to treat myself and just bask in the joy that is Christ. 



This picture is one that I took on the way home. It has nothing to do with greed, but it's gorgeous.

No comments: