Friday, November 4, 2011

Being in Awe & Dancing

Awe /ô/
Verb:     Inspire with awe: "they were both awed by the vastness of the forest".
Noun:   A feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder: "they gazed in awe at the small mountain of diamonds".
Synonyms:          fear - reverence - dread - fright - funk – terror

Dance /dans/
Noun:   A series of movements that match the speed and rhythm of a piece of music.
Verb:     Move rhythmically to music, typically following a set sequence of steps: "their cheeks were pressed together as they danced".
Synonyms:
Noun:  dancing - ball - hop
Verb:  hop - leap - jump

I was reading Proverbs 30 last night with my bible study group {Hi Edna Group!} and was struck with the way that Agur was honestly in awe of the mystery that is the Lord. I want to be in awe more, don’t you? Do you ever find yourself just staring at things and wanting to just study them or know more? I do all the time. I think that I want to start leaving a bit of mystery and start seeing things with a heart full of awe and wonder.

I love to dance. Seriously, it’s the best. I love reading that people in the bible (especially kings) danced. The picture of David dancing in my head is really silly and it makes me smile. {multiple examples: Exodus 15:20-21, 1 Samuel 18:6-8, 2 Samuel 6:13-15, Psalm 149}

This morning I woke up put on Foster the People “Helena beat” (listen to the song, but don’t watch the video… it’s a little disturbing…) and started shakin’ what my mama gave me and thinking about how beautiful the Lord made the sky today when I caught a glimpse of myself in my PJ’s and I actually thought that I looked {GASP} adorable. Maybe that is how the Lord thought I looked this morning. I had fun dancing in the mirror this morning (sorry neighbors downstairs…) and I didn’t feel insecure about my body what-so-ever. The Lord really works quickly to change willing hearts.

So, when you are feeling down I would like to suggest the the infamous words of Mr. James Brown to “Get up offa that thang and dance till you feel better. Get up offa that thang and try to release that pressure!”

No comments: