Monday, December 19, 2011

What’s the trouble with turning 23?


Let me tell you, dear, what the trouble is: {at least for me} my body is malfunctioning!! Since I’ve turned 23 (four weeks ago) I’ve been cursed with acid reflux {which plagues my whole family but I’ve never had} and heart “shudders”. That’s not a technical term. It feels like I have a butterfly in my chest. There probably isn’t anything wrong with me, but I get to go have an EKG {Electrocardiograph} so they can measure my heart. I’m not scared. Seriously, I’m not.

I am however scared of this: These problems have severely changed my eating habits (granted it’s been about three days that I’ve had to live with the changes, but that is the first three days of the rest of my life). I cannot eat refined sugar (due to acid reflux) or have coffee more than three times per week! It’s going to be a major change for this sweet-toothed-coffee-lover. This combined with not eating dairy {I’m pretty sure I’m allergic to the protein} is going to be a challenge.

I am going to need a lot of prayer to keep on this, but I did ask the Lord to help me lose weight and having acid reflux every time I eat something made with refined sugar is not what I had in mind, but plus side: now thinking of eating a cookie makes me want to cry. I don’t like to cry therefore I will not eat said cookie. Bam. Problem solved. I won’t eat the cookie.

This will be hard when I read about Emma’s beautifully baked treats, Joy’s amazing culinary skills, Jill’s beautiful delightsMallorie’s 12 days of baking and Tracy over here (she actually has a lot more then sweets but I still want to eat all of her food). See what I mean?! Tough cookies… dang it.


This has been encouraging me lately:

John 10:22-30

22 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
25 Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me. 26 But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

I feel like I got side tracking somewhere in the middle there, but in general it’s been a hard few weeks… I’m going to need a LOT of help from the Lord to sustain me and change my noshing on sweets habits. Even something seemingly as simple as this needs to be labored over in prayer (with God’s help anything is possible). 

No comments: